Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Storm

Last  night I traveled through some pretty crazy weather.  I was on unfamiliar roads and the night was pitch dark except when illuminated by the bright lightening.  At many times I felt a sense of panic as I could not see through the covered windshield where my wipers were not good enough on their fastest settings.  The sense of responsibility of carrying my precious cargo weighed heavy upon my ability to handle this storm we found ourselves in. 

As I navigated the streets and highways to get to my final destination I could not help but parallel my journey to that of those in Lehi's dream.  I found myself in utter darkness clinging to the markers that were placed before. 

As I followed the cars and trucks in front of me, I thought of the chaos of water that got kicked up from the large semi's as they navigated their way through the water logged streets, spraying cars that dared to get close.  As I passed them I held on for dear life as the water became almost too much for me to handle as I couldn't see anything.  As soon as I passed these monsters of water, there was calm on the other side.  Many cars were lining up behind these trucks seeking safety only to be showered with even more water.  "Many were drowned in the depths of the fountain; and many were lost from [my] view, wandering in strange roads." (1 Nephi 8:32)

How many times do we get stuck with something that we can't get over?  Someone offended you, a point of doctrine, a trial that we don't want, sin and weakness... Are we drowning in the over spray without the desire to take that blind step forward where the water is most intense to find the peace on the other side?  

As I came off a major street and on to a highway I could scarcely see in front of me.  I could barely make out the massive signs that pointed which lane I should be in so that I would not get lost in unknown roads.  I found myself very grateful that the roads were familiar to me, that I had traveled here before.  As I made it onto the highway that would ultimately take me to my destination I felt determined to make it safely there and to do the best I could.  And then I realized the true danger I was in!  I could not rely on my abilities alone to weather through this storm.  There were so many things that were out of my control.  The severity of the weather, the ability of other drivers to journey safely, the road conditions... All these things were not in my control.  As I realized these things, I caught hold upon a few things.  One.  My Father in Heaven knows where I am.  He knows what I am facing and He will not leave me alone.  Two.  The Spirit has been my companion now for a long time.  He will warn me and guide me.  Three.  I have traveled these roads before.  It was familiar to me.  Four.  Although my whole body was tense with adrenaline, I felt peace.  Five.  Sometimes, you have to let go and trust.

Earlier in the day as I was preparing for this little trip I was prompted to get an extra set of contacts as I wear daily disposables.  Dismissing it as a silly thought and wondering if it were a true prompting, I did not heed the suggestion.  Shortly into my day, it became very apparent why I was prompted.  Both contacts had tears in them.  Throughout the day I dealt with the consequences of not listening.  It was uncomfortable, painful, and not pleasant.  The real problem was when my contacts clouded my vision with my already blurred windshield.  I again was reminded.  Listen and follow promptings no matter how small or silly it seems.  It was not a small thing when my family's safety was in jeopardy.

As I traveled these dark and misty roads I caught hold upon the promptings and feelings that were guiding me. I was listening and heeding as I sped up to pass the chaos trucks or slowed down because of the water on the roads.  As I continued "pressing forward and caught hold" upon the promptings and peace that I was feeling despite the treacherous conditions, I realized that I was going to be okay.  Whatever the outcome, I was being watched over.

I made it to our exit and gratefully navigated home.  As I tucked my children into bed, I was relieved that we had made it through an intense storm and I was safe inside a sheltered home.  As the storm still raged outside and pounded on the windows, I tasted of the fruit of knowing that I made it to the end.

Life will continue to pound upon me.  It is not a guess.  It is a promise.  Even as I weather, "Mighty winds, yea [the] shafts in the whirlwind, yea and when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon [me] it shall have no power over [me] to drag [me] down to the gulf of endless wo, because of the rock upon which [I] am built, which is a sure foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." (Helaman. 5:12)

I will continue to do things that make following promptings and obeying familiar things like reading my scriptures and saying earnest prayer.  When the time comes to travel familiar roads but with a massive storm beating upon me, I will still be able to navigate through.  When I can't see, He can.  When I don't know what is up ahead, He does.

The fruit I tasted when I got home was delicious.  It was that of sleeping children, tucked safely into their beds.

1 comment: